! YOU ARE ON A "STORY ARCHIVE" SUB-SITE. IF YOU ENTERED THROUGH THE ORIGINAL WEBSITE, THE ORIGINAL SITE SHOULD STILL BE OPEN IN A SEPARATE WINDOW OR TAB. IF YOU CAN NOT FIND IT AND WANT TO GO BACK, CLICK HERE

Saturday, March 3, 2012

SC Election Winners Stress Teamwork

UNYPRESS talks to the newest members of Student Council 
By Michal K.

With the Student Council elections behind us, UNYPRESS went ahead and investigated what our new representatives are all about.


Malika Dulkairova
Age: 20
Major: BA
Country: Kazakhstan

UNYPRESS: As a new Student Council representative, what are your main goals?
Malika Dulkairova: I’d really like to do something valuable for SC and all the Students. We want others to see what the Student Council is about and appreciate what we’re trying to do. 

UNYPRESS: How do you intend to implement your plans?
MD: First by proposing ideas to other members of Student Council, and discussing them together. When we agree, then working on making them real

UNYPRESS: Are you planning anything unusual?
MD: Maybe.

UNYPRESS: Do you think that the Student Council can really make a significant difference, or is it mainly just big talk?
MD: I honestly believe that Student Council can make a difference, and we’ll try to prove it soon.

UNYPRESS: Outside of Student Council, what are you like as a person? 
MD: Well, I love traveling and learning new languages, and meeting new people. I used to play piano, danced hip-hop, salsa and ball dances, attended acting classes and played big tennis. I like taking as much as I can out of my life.


Michaela Matějčková
Age: 20
Major: Communication
Country: Czech Republic

UNYPRESS: As a new Student Council representative, what are your main goals?
Michaela Matějčková: Mainly, I would like to focus on the exchange programs, because I think that students should apply at least once for such a thing. It is a great opportunity for everyone. Unfortunately, we don’t even know that much about exchange programs at UNYP. So I want our students to be informed about these possibilities, and if it would be in my competence, I would like to reach more countries, and not just the UK, USA and so on. Also, I want a better after-school life for all UNYPers. So parties, trips, sports and much more.

UNYPRESS: How do you intend to implement your plans?
MM: Well, I rely on teamwork. I know that we all have great ideas, abilities and skills. And I bet that if we all work very hard together, we will be able to achieve all these goals and ideas.

UNYPRESS: Are you planning anything unusual?
MM: What is unusual according to you?

UNYPRESS: Do you think that the Student Council can really make a significant difference, or is it mainly just big talk?
MM: Well, it is hard to make a significant difference. And sometimes it is even hard to make an invisible difference. But we should give SC more credit for what they do. It is very hard to deal with people, and I am sure that this is not just big talk. We do try to make some changes. And you will see that we don’t just talk about it.

UNYPRESS: Outside of Student Council, what are you like as a person?
MM: A recent gym fan. I have a cat, a great boyfriend and I just enjoy my beautiful life.


Petar Buha
Age: 19
Major: Double major in BA and IER
Country: Croatia
 
UNYPRESS: As a new Student Council representative, what are your main goals?
Petar Buha: My main goal is the growth of the community. UNYP offers more than any other school in the Czech Republic in terms of variety of students, thus we should be more prepared for international business and life in general. Different languages, different world views – getting to know all of that on a personal level is incredibly enriching for every one of us. And we have the incredible benefit of having the chance to meet people in person, not just read about it from a book.

UNYPRESS: How do you intend to implement your plans?
PB: I plan to achieve this through various social actions. So far, the only community-enriching programs organized or affiliated with SC have been Blazers, InMotion and parties. I plan to do much more, for example picnics, sheeshas, billiards, trips, etc. Check my program for more details.

UNYPRESS: Are you planning anything unusual?
PB: Although I have more or less said everything in my program, there are some things I would like to point out. First of all, I would love to finally organize a Karaoke night. Everyone has been talking about it and for some reason it is still not happening.
Student-to-student tutoring is another thing. For free or a symbolic price, students would be helping each other out, meeting new people and improving their grades.
And a personal favorite of mine is the debate club. I will restore it to its former glory.
 
UNYPRESS: Do you think that the Student Council can really make a significant difference, or is it mainly just big talk?
PB: SC can do things. What students have to realize is that we are not part of the faculty, and we do not have absolute influence on the staff. That does not mean we do not try; our president attends academic meetings and presents our ideas there, which is an influential thing by itself.
The biggest power in SC is the organization itself – we represent students. Thus, we consider ALL student ideas that get to us (even though some students might think otherwise), and try to implement them in some way. We are here to do, not to talk. And since SC members have the energy to do something, our ideas don’t just “blow in the wind.”
 
UNYPRESS: Outside of Student Council, what are you like as a person?
PB: I’d say I’m outgoing and friendly, someone who likes to have fun as well as work when it’s necessary. Also, I’m usually able to bring a new perspective and “connect the dots,” which could be useful in the position I have been elected to.


Luisa Fernanda Avendaño Tobon
Age: 20
Major: International Economic Relations

County: Colombia

UNYPRESS: As a new student council representative, what are your main goals?

Luisa Fernanda Avendaño Tobon: My main ideas are the improvement of the student lounge, more cooperation with other universities, and creating more female sports activities.


UNYPRESS: How do you intend to implement your plans?
LFAT: It will be possible with the help of other member of Student Council, and with the cooperation and willingness of UNYP students and the administration.

UNYPRESS: Are you planning anything unusual?

LFAT: I plan on having more sports activities and interactions with other English-speaking universities. Besides this, I would like to plan activities like camping or going for picnics where everyone can join.

UNYPRESS: Do you think that the Student Council can really make a significant difference, or is it mainly just big talk?

LFAT: I honestly believe that if we want to, we can make things happen. However, we must not forget that Student Council depends entirely upon the students cooperation and support.

UNYPRESS: Outside of Student Council, what are you like as a person?

LFAT: I am a very easygoing, happy and outgoing person who loves music and dancing. I consider myself friendly enough to be your friend in minutes, and open new things in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment